March 15, 2010

How I Photograph My Cards


I finally found a way to photograph my cards that I am happy with. The only real expense is an Ott Lite...but it is well worth the price. With an Ott Lite you don't need to use your flash and the card details come out so nice. My Ott Lite is a clip-on desk light, but a free standing one works just as well. My digital camera is a Kodak 10.3 Mega pixel and it cost less than $90, so you don't have to have an expensive digital camera to get a good photograph.

You probably have the supplies for making the backdrop in your card stock supply. Here's how to make it.


Take 3 sheets of heavyweight white card stock (8-1/2" x 11") and lay them out as shown. Arrange the sheets with one 8-1/2" x 11" sheet on each side then turn your third piece (with the 11" side at the bottom) for the center...lining up at the top. Tape the three pieces together using clear tape. Score and fold the bottom of the two outer sheets (lining up your folds with the bottom of the 11" x 8-1/2" center piece). Fold in the side pieces and arrange in a box shape as shown below. For the bottom (floor) of your light studio, place a few pieces of card stock on the folded pieces to hold the box shape and your backdrop is done.


Next, add your light source (I highly recommend an Ott Lite) above and to the front to illuminate your card. Move it as necessary to lessen the shadows. If you don't have a light source, use your flash. Put the card in the light studio and take your photo (with or without flash).


A tripod isn't really necessary, but my husband thought I needed one, so I use it occasionally. All of my recent card photos (on my blog) were taken this way...without flash.