July 26, 2011

A Sympathy Card


Today I wanted to make a sympathy card for a friend who lost his precious mom last week. It's so hard to lose a parent and I wanted to make a special card to let him and his wife know that we are thinking of them.

Sometimes images inspire me to make a card, sometimes it's beautiful cards made by others, and once it a while it's the designer paper that inspires the card. For this card I wanted something in soothing colors that was pretty but would not overwhelm the sentiment.

I have come to love the color combination of brown and light blue. On a recent trip to Hobby Lobby I found this beautiful designer paper pad from GCD Studios. It's called Ella Blue and the papers have a wonderful linen texture in twelve designs.


For this card I was inspired by one of the designs in the Ella Blue collection. I started with a very pale pink for the base card. I added a light blue card stock with the designer paper for the layers. The sympathy image used is from Stampabilities, which was die cut with a Spellbinders die.